When one thinks of soothing herbal teas, chamomile is the first name that comes to mind.
It is known to be a wonder herb with numerous health benefits, from soothing skin irritation to relieving anxiety, treating stomach problems, relieving muscle spasms, treating infections, gum inflammation, helping with insomnia, reducing puffiness under eyes, clearing acne, soothing minor first-degree burns, stomach ulcers, etc.
Chamomile is a flower that originates from a blooming plant in the daisy gang. It is grown in parts of Asia, Europe, Australia and North America during early summers.
|Appearance||Dried Golden flowers|
|Aroma||Distinct Earthy floral|
|Taste||Mild with a sweet aftertaste|
Health Benefits of Chamomile:
- Helps relieve Menstrual Cramps: Chamomile tea has anti spasmodic properties which increases glycine levels and helps reduce muscle spasms. The compounds found in chamomile contain glycine which helps in relaxing nerves and helps in menstrual cramps.
- Calms Muscle Pains: Chamomile helps calm muscle spasms by increasing the level of glycine in urine. Drinking upto 2 cups of chamomile will benefit in muscle pains.
- Soothes Ulcer Pain: The anti inflammatory properties speed up the healing process. Chamomile helps fight the H.pylori bacteria and relieves ulcer pain. Hence it works two fold on ulcers.
- Boosts Immunity: Chamomile tea has phenolic compounds that boost immunity thereby strengthening it. Chamomile helps protect your body against microbes and the compounds present in it fight against cold and infections.
- Helps in Anxiety: Chamomile increases the level of serotonin and melatonin which are hormones that help eliminate stress. 1-2 cups of chamomile everyday can help calm your nerves and slow down a racing mind to help in anxiety.
- Induces Sleep: Chamomile is particularly helpful for people struggling with sleep apnea. A warm cup of chamomile half an hour before bed has been proven to induce sleep among people. It is also helpful for women with postpartum depression.
- Helps with Migraines: German chamomile is an effective remedy for migraines. A warm cup of chamomile with a dash of honey can help reduce headaches.
- Helps in cold and sore throat: Chamomile helps flush out bacteria from your system. Inhaling steam with chamomile extract can help soothe irritated throat and nose.
- Helps in Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Chamomile tea helps relieve stomach cramps. It is also helpful in relieving gas, diarrhea, indigestion and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Helps in Hemorrhoids: It has soothing properties that help against inflammation.
Skin Benefits of Chamomile Tea
- Helps reduce acne: Due to its anti inflammatory properties, chamomile is used to help fade spots, eliminate acne scars and also helps in fighting breakouts. Apply chamomile extract on your skin where the affected area is and see quick results.
- Helps in Dark circles: Chamomile is a natural skin lightner and helps moisturize skin. It helps relieving against dark circles.
- Natural Skin bleach: It is a natural skin lightner and is used in bleaching agents. To apply to it on skin use infused chamomile tea bags and water.
- Natural Cleanser: A facial scrub of chamomile and sugar will help cleanse your skin and give it a natural glow.
- Soothes Irritated Skin: The anti fungal and anti inflammatory properties of chamomile soothes irritated skin and helps against sun tan.
- Protects skin from damage: It tightens your pores and smoothes skin.
- Helps reduce eye puffiness: The anti inflammatory properties of chamomile help reduce eye puffiness.
- Accelerates the healing process: Romans, Egyptians and Greeks used chamomile to treat their wounds in the past.
- Natural Face scrub: Dried Chamomile can be used as a facial scrub with a moisturizer and sugar.
- Acts as a skin moisturizer: Chamomile is a natural skin moisturizer.
Hair benefits of Chamomile Tea
- Helps reduce dandruff: It soothes irritated scalp and is helpful in hair growth. To reduce dandruff flakes, use infused chamomile tea in water for washing hair.
- Makes hair shiny: Infused chamomile tea and water can be used for washing hair and it gives life to dull hair.
Digestive Benefits of Chamomile Tea
- Helps reduce Bloating: Chamomile tea has anti inflammatory properties which helps reduce bloating.
- Maintains glucose levels in body: Drinking chamomile tea regularly helps stablise blood sugar levels.
- Helps improve digestion: Chamomile helps reduce muscle cramps and helps in indigestion.
How to make Chamomile Tea
Here is our brew guide on how to make chamomile tea